Before you went on a well-deserved holiday break, you had anxiety attacks about the amount of work that needed to be completed before you could switch off and relax.
Upon your return, you end up wishing that you never went on leave as your inbox is an immediate headache.
To overcome this inbox nightmare and ensure it does not rob you of your post-holiday bliss, here are a few tips:
- Set aside time to work through your inbox. Look at this time as a scheduled meeting that you cannot postpone and must attend.
- While you have your “inbox catch-up meeting”, close your door and ensure that there are no distractions.
- Start by deleting all your junk-mail.
- As you read through your emails, prioritise your emails by deciding which are no longer relevant (file or delete them), and which need to be addressed.
- Handle the emails that need the least amount of attention first. Your stress will decrease significantly as you see the number of emails decreasing.
- Lastly, focus on the emails that need more work and attention. These can be further prioritised in a task list to be addressed in order of importance or urgency.
Be aware of the value of your time, and do not spend too much time on overthinking all the information you have to process. Once your “email meeting” has concluded, take a deep breath, have a cup of tea, and start with the next item on your to-do list. Remain thankful that you had a vacation and was able to get some rest.